Monday 30 May 2011

Volcano Ventures in the Congo

At a height of nearly 3,500m, Nyiragongo volcano towers over the city of Goma in eastern DRC.  It is one of the most active volcanoes on the planet, as well as one of the least studied.

Nyiragongo last erupted in 2002 with a fissure eruption (like a bursting pipe, rather than a classic spouting-out-of-the-top eruption), destroying a large part of Goma.  But Scientists believe the volcano is capable of far greater fury, as a major eruption could release the huge volume of lethal gases trapped under nearby Lake Kivu.

With the geology facts in place, there was one task to complete before I could venture to the summit of Nyirogongo; I had to meet the Ambassador of DRC in Kigali to request a visa.  He asked all the expected questions: what I’d be doing in DRC, how long I intended to stay (fortunately, my French skills just about stretch that far)...  When in response to his question regarding my occupation I informed him that I am an Accountant, he gave me a huge grin and kindly welcomed me to DRC.

After crossing the boarder, we drove through Goma to the base of the volcano, passing UN peacekeeping troops along the way.  Despite the constant threat of another eruption that would likely follow a similar path, many homes have been built directly on top of the old lava flow.


Accompanied by armed guards, we hiked steeply uphill for 5 hours to reach the very windy summit.

From here, we looked over a crumbling sheer wall, down to a lake of lava, with a mesmerising kaleidoscopic surface.                                                              
                                                                 





          
We spent the night camping close to the summit, with a small fire of our own, and the glow and intimating roar of the bubbling lake in the background.  Just awesome.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, hey emma great post. I really want to do this. You didn't have to pay any anything on top of the visa fee at the border did you?
    I should be in Kigali in about a week's time and this is my number 1 thing i want o do from there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blogg Emma , its going to take an epic bike ride to top that adventure Robbo

    ReplyDelete